This month’s Indian Cooking Challenge was making Khasta katchori,as described by Medhaa. As the title says, my katchori turned out to be a flop-o-chori. I decided to use whole wheat flour instead of maida. My fillings were just right but the katchori was not crisp. It tasted more like stuffed poori than katchori. I made one where the oil was not too hot and the others with the oil too hot…
With burns leaving scars on my face during my past deep frying sagas, I am scared of frying anything. I would like to blame it on that..I can never make mistakes,Si..
Anyway, here is the recipe
Khasta Kachori – Moong Dal Kachori
Split Moong Dal (yellow) – 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Hing / Asafoetida – a pinch
Curry Leaves – 2 tsp chopped fine (opt)
Green Chilli – Ginger paste – 1 tsp
Sauf / Fennel seeds powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Mango powder / Amchur – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Wask and Soak dal in water for atleast 1 hour. You can go upto 4 hours not more.
2. Drain the water well.
3. Grind the dal to a coarsely. (Will resemble Idli Rawa)
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. Add the hing and cumin seeds.
6. Once the seeds splutter add the curry leaves.
7. Add the dal.
8. Lower the heat and keep stirring for 5 minutes till the dal stops sticking to the pan.
9. Cook for another 10 minutes on low till the dal turns slightly brown.
10. Add all the masalas.
11. Cook for few minutes till the aroma of the spices hit you.
12. Add Salt.
13. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool.
The filling has to be really dry. Don’t add water.
For the Dough
All purpose flour / Maida – 2 cups
Oil/ Ghee – 1/4 cup ,
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Water for kneading
1. Mix the flour and salt, Add the oil/ghee and mix till you get a bread crumbs texture.
2. Slowly add water and make a soft dough. Knead well for about 8 minutes.
3. Cover and keep aside to rest for atleast half hour.
1. Make small balls from the dough(like one would do for parathas),fill it with the moong dal filling, pat it and deep fry it, till it is crispy.
2. For elaborate preparation hints, please visit http://spicingyourlife.blogspot.com/2010/02/khasta-kachori-moong-dal-kachori-step.html