I baked this last Sunday. I was browsing the food blogs, drooling as usual and hit upon this website called http://www.egglesscooking.com , where Madhuram had announced an event for fat-free , egg-free baking and so baked this. I usually bake the date-walnut cake , to which I add little oil to make it moist. I think,most of the people who cook but who don’t bake much, would have atleast baked this cake as it is very simple and easy to bake.I have added Rhubarb to give it a slight tangy taste.
Here is the recipe
1 cup Chopped dates
0.5 cup chopped Rhubarb
1 Cup ButterMilk
0.5 cup Milk
2 and 1/4 Cup AP flour( or 1 cup Whole wheat + 1 Cup AP)
1/4 cup raw sugar
0.5 cup AppleSauce
0.5 cup Chopped Walnuts
1 tsp Baking Soda
0.5 tsp Baking Powder
Preheat the oven to 350F.
1. Warm the milk and soak the dates in it.
2. Puree the dates and the Rhubarb along with the buttermilk and sugar.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients .
4. Stir in the applesauce to the wet mixture.
5. Mix the dry and wet ingredients, fold in the walnuts and bake for 30-35 minutes or till an inserted knife comes out clean.
1. Instead of Rhubarb, cranberries can be added.
2. Instead of blending the rhubarb with dates, we can just add it as chopped.
3. ButterMilk can be replaced with milk. Buttermilk is better as it is more acidic and would react with the baking soda.
4. Applesauce can be replaced with oil or butter.
And yes, it is fat-free. The cake turned out to be too sweet for my taste. Maybe,I should have skipped the additional sugar. If you use Mejdool dates, it would be better to skip sugar.