For our birthdays, my in-laws celebrate by cooking Vada, kheer etc and visiting temples. I decided to celebrate my parents upcoming wedding anniversary by baking this Fruit and nut cake. Reminds of my first anniversary gift to them, during my 7th grade. It was a picnic set, a flask with some cups and plates. I had saved all my pocket money, walked to one of the “FANCY” stores near my school and bought it. Was so excited in keeping it hidden till the date. Needless to say its a flask preserved till this date, one which brings a proud smile to their faces.
I used Bee’s Fruit and Nut cake recipe, modified it slightly , making it vegetarian instead of vegan. I had my dry fruits( a mixture of currants,raisins,apricots,cranberries and dates) soaked in Dark Rum for a week.
Please visit Jugalbandi’s website for the original recipe. I will list down the recipe anyway.
Here is the recipe
1. Mix of Nuts ( I used walnuts,almonds and cashewnuts) & dry fruits.
2. 1 cup Rum.( for soaking the dry fruits).
3. 1 cup packed brown sugar
4. 1.5 cup water
5. 5 tablespoons Evaporated Fat Free Milk ( Can also use plain milk/condensed )
6. 1/2 teaspoon salt
7. 1/4 tsp each ground cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg
8. 3 cups unsifted wholewheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour.
( I used 1.5 Cups Wholewheat pastry flour,0.5 cup all-purpose flour,1 cup Oat flour)
9. 1 teaspoon baking soda
10. 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1.Drain the dried fruits and reserve the rum. Put the dried fruits in a pan with water. If they are pre-soaked, use 1 and 1/3 cups water, if not, add 2 cups water. ( This is as Bee states it. I soaked them in rum and used 1.5 cups water)
2.Add sugar, spices and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
3.Preheat the oven to 350 F with a rack in the middle. Grease a bundt pan.
4. Once the mixture is cooled,add the vanilla extract and evaporated milk.
5.Fold in flour, baking soda and nuts.
6.Spoon into greased bundt pan and bake until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. ( Around 35 minutes)
7.Cool for a few minutes and invert over a wire rack .Simmer the reserved rum for a few minutes to burn off the alcohol and drizzle over the cake.( I didn’t simmer the rum, rather drizzled it as it is since I wanted a true rum cake. 🙂
Had some cream at home which was getting outdated and used it to lather the cake.
1. No need to soak the fruits in Rum. It can be plain Fruit & Nut cake.
2. The original recipe called for some lemon/orange zest, orange juice, which I skipped.
3. Instead of Milk, the original recipe had oil/applesauce.
1. The cake came out perfect and very moist. It turned out to be a bit too sweet for me. The original recipe calls for 2 cups sugar.. Wonder how people would even taste anything other than sugar in that one..
Thanksgiving is the perfect occasion to convey my thanks to my parents.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MOM and DAD !!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING Everyone.